I am not the most organized person, but I pride myself on being able to clean. (When I finally get around to it!) Over the years I have found so many great cleaning tips to make life easier and I wanted to share them with you.
1) Removing Blood from Furniture – Use hydrogen peroxide to remove blood from clothing or furniture. Rub gently.
2) To keep ants out of the house, find where they are entering the house and sprinkle a “barrier” of cinnamon or any type of ground pepper to block their way. The spices are too hot for the ants to cross.
3) Use paint brushes to dust cracks and hard to reach places in telephones, stereos, etc.
4) Set aside a regular short period of time each week for the family to straighten up the house. It teaches good habits to the kids and gives the family a project to do together. Everyone will feel better when the job is done, and might just look forward to the day when they know things are going to be neat and organized.
5) Cigarette burns in carpeting can be repaired by cutting the blackened fibers from the hole. Squeeze liquid glue into the hole and fill with fibers trimmed from carpet remnants.
6) Place a shallow dish of baking soda behind the toilet to absorb bathroom odors.
7) Freshen a Garbage Disposal: Sprinkle baking soda in it along with a few drops dish-washing liquid. Scrub with a brush (a new toilet brush works great), getting under the rubber gasket and all around the inside. Then turn on water and the disposal and flush thoroughly For a fresh citrus scent, throw in a few cut-up lemons or limes and run them through, too, using lots of water.
8) Photos Stuck Together: With a hair dryer on low, slowly melt them apart.
9) For roach problems combine equal parts boric acid (a powder sold in hardware stores and drugstores) and sugar, mix well. Sprinkle in crevices. Put the powder in jar lids; place lids behind the fridge and under sinks.
10) Shower Doors: Spray Resolve Spot Remover for carpet and fabric on the shower and wipe with a clean dish sponge. Every bit of the soap scum will come off.
11) Smelly Sneakers: Simply fill knee-high stockings with unused kitty litter, tie the ends and tuck them in your shoes overnight for a quick refresh. Add baby powder, too! Another refresher for smelly sneakers is to simply take a few teaspoons of baking soda and put in the center of a cotton cloth. Tie the cloth and rubber band the edges securely creating a baking soda sachet, put in the shoes overnight. These sachets can be used over and over in any kind of shoe.
12) Sour Sponge: Soak the sponge in lemon juice and rinse it out. This will remove the odor for good but keep in mind that it is important to either dispose of, microwave, or run your sponge through your dishwasher regularly to keep bacteria from growing.
13) Pam will also remove paint, and grease from your hands! Keep a can in your garage for your hubby.
14) Easy eyeglass protection … to prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.
15) Clean a toilet -Drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action cleans vitreous china.